Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This little light of mine...


DIY Lamp Makeover

My dining room does not have enough light and I was looking for a pair of lamps to go on a console table. I bought these lamps at my local Marshall's Home Goods Store not because of their looks, but for their potential...and price!






I couldn't decide what to do with them..paint them white and get a fabric shade or paint them a fun color and a plain shade, so I just left them alone until inspiration struck.

Enter inspiration.

$2700 Green reverse painted glass with original gold details. New custom gold paper shade and gold ball finial. These came from the cute store, Pieces, located in Atlanta.


Too bad I don't have $2700 just sitting around to spend on lamps. But I did love the style of these and the color which goes well with the antique fern prints I have hanging in the dining room.

So let's start the transformation!

1.) Take ugly shade and finial off and cover exposed hardware and cord.


2.) Spray with primer.



3.) First I painted them with a green I thought I would like better than the lighter green of the glass lamps.




4.) I kept looking at the picture of the glass lamps then back at mine and was just not satisfied...so I went to the paint store and bought a lighter green and repainted the lamps before the sun went down.



5.) I let the lamps dry overnight. Then wrapped up the lamps except for the bottom to paint the bottom so it looks like there is a gold base.





6.) Then added the other gold details (it was a pain in the A$$!).



7.) And.....done!


8.) Materials used.


Now I just need to find a gold lamp shade...or maybe a white one. I will post picks when it's all put together!

$2700 v. $73
(i win)

1 comment: